Amen to that.

One usually gets insulted disbelief when you tell them that you can't
find things in their fact assemblage.  The larger and more complete
the document becomes the harder it is to find things.  While as a
tool, particularly for searching around on a schematic diagram, PDF
search is EXTREMELY useful, for one who is just getting started,
EVERYONE'S "modern" manuals suffer from the SECRET WORD SYNDROME.  Try
finding "load antenna" when the only term used is "antenna matching".
You have to know the exact spelling of the exact term in use by the
writer of the document in order to find the content you need.

And as just stated, writers seem to be completely convinced that
modern search field mechanisms are a satisfactory means.

A good index probably needs to be kept on line, as a specific job in a
company, and needs an employee whose prime job is to expand the "term
bank" to key to alternate terms, which actually does link to material
on line.  The keeper of the index MUST NOT under any circumstances be
one of the writers.  It has to be a customer facing employee, who can
consult the writers, but the writers cannot do the index and must have
zero "face" involved in what is in the index.

But I wouldn't presume to say that much of that actually exists out
there.  This is an expense at a company, and it would appear that
there is little inclination to spend money for anything, particularly
in a deep recession.

73, Guy.