You guys are missing something in the timing. Sending an SMS message requires far more than just keying in the receiver's phone number and the text itself. Once all this is keyed in and the send button is pressed, the cell system takes over. Much like the email system we are now using, the SMS message is forwarded into the SMS gateway, which is most likely located at some central point in the cellphone company's system. There are amazingly few of these due to the vast amount of bandwidth inside the phone companies. The next time the system services outgoing messages, the server will start checking for delivery parameters, such as if the receiving phone is available and ready to accept a message. When all these gates have been cleared, the message is forwarded to the receiver. Only then does the message come up for display. This can happen quickly (hundreds of milliseconds), or rather slowly (minutes or more) depending on the loading of the SMS system and the overall cell system.

Note that this is very much unlike the CW system which is very much point-to-point.

So, even if the sender could key in the information as fast as the CW guys, it is doubtful if the SMS system could get the job done quickly. As are emails, SMS messaging is anything but a real-time system.

It still feels great to see the guys smoke the phone kids, though...