And Barry reports that additional I.F. gain does help him on some signals,
at least.

Your reports suggest that something in the receiver chain is degrading the
S/N ratio at lower signal levels.

If the degradation is in the second I.F. then additional first I.F. gain
would help. I've never seen that before, but I am an "analog" guy not
familiar with the characteristics of the DSP system used in the second I.F.

Ron AC7AC

P.S. CW is just SSB with a *very* narrow bandwidth, Hi!