Hi all,

The question of how sensitive/insensitive the K3 is on 10m or higher
intrigued me enough to do a little testing. The bottom line is that I
did not find a great sensitivity loss on 10m or higher . I did see a
nominal sensitivity loss of maybe 3-4 dB on 10m and 6m relative to the
sensitivity on lower bands.

Here are some details of what I tested. I have an HP 8640 signal
generator with an outstanding decade attenuator that can reduce the
signal out down to nominally -130 dBm. So with this generator feeding
into a Kay attenuator unit, I could attenuate the signal down by
increments of 1 dB as far down as I would like. I calibrated the 8640 to
0 dBm when the 8640 attenuator was set to 0 dBm. I used a Yamaha headset
and listed to the CW signal out of the 8640 with the K3 set to SSB. The
internal preamp and attenuator in the K3 were turned off. The ATU was
bypassed. The audio bandpass was nominally 3 Khz. NB, NR, and NTCH were
turned off. I listened to the audio out of the K3 while adding
attenuation until I could not hear the signal. The attenuator setting
where I last heard the signal is the value in the table. The absolute
signal level at -130 dBm may not be exact, but the relative values
should be quite good.

Freq   Receive threshold
1900   -135 dBm
3800   -135
7100   -136
14100 -135
18100 -137
21200 -135
24940 -137
28400 -132
50125 -133,   with internal preamp on = -138, with external preamp on = -142

For my personal interests, I also tested an FT817 which was close at hand.

Freq   Receive threshold
1900   -95 dBm
3800   -103
7100   -106
14100 -113
18100 -117
21200 -120
24940 -115
28400 -120
50125 -148   ( this one is very interesting )

Don, N0YE