Paul,

Yes, it is necessary to put the internal counter probe in TP2 to adjust
the filters - without it, the K2 indicates an ERROR 230.  The
microprocessor must read the frequency to store the proper BFO settings
into EEPROM.

Look at the K2 Dial Calibration article on my website www.w3fpr.com to
see the entire process of dial calibration and the filter settings.

73,
Don W3FPR