Phil - you might try loosening and retightening the four screws holding the
speaker to the top cover.  If you even slightly over-tighten, you can cause
distortion to the speaker frame which could cause audio distortion and low
audio output.  You want to get them just tight enough to not come lose and
NO MORE... it's very easy to distort the speaker frame.