That's what I was afraid of. I spent some time the other night looking
into DSP filtering that I could do on my PC, but I realized after
awhile that once the S9+20 signal has gone through the K2 and deafened
it, filtering it out of the audio is a bit pointless - I'm still going
to be missing all the weaker signals.

If anyone wants to look at and comment on the intermittent horrible
40m QRM I get, here are some visual and audio samples:

http://nerdnetworks.org/stuff/40m_waterfall.png
http://nerdnetworks.org/stuff/40m_qrm.png
http://nerdnetworks.org/stuff/40m_qrm.mp3

This stuff manifests as an S9 or greater buzz/hash that slowly creeps
up and down in frequency. 40 will be nicely usable and relatively
quiet, and then this stuff starts up and I might as well just shut off
the radio (or try 80, which is at least sometimes usable even with the
previous QRM I asked about). I suspect that if a constant-frequency
QRM like the stuff on 80 can't be filtered easily, this varying stuff
can't be either.

I have heard about the MFJ and Timewave noise canceling gizmos, I can
imagine one of those working OK on the TV noise, but I would assume
that this stuff that moves around wouldn't be so easy to deal with.

My friend told me that I need to use a "move to a cabin in the woods"
filter.

--
o...@nerdnetworks.org (Owen B. Mehegan)
'Something is rotten in the state of Denmark.'