Keeping a DCM-style record of each K3 would be virtually impossible.
Factory-installed K3  options could be tracked by the original
buyer/owner/builder but not by serial number, since many owners have
multiple radios.  More to the point, options are also
bought/sold/traded in and out of K3's.  The best example of this is
filters, but it applies equally to major subassemblies like the KXV3/A
or K144XV, etc.

I had a brief discussion with Eric about this in October.  When a K3
(or K2, etc.) arrives back at the shop, the service person inventories
its installed options.  But there isn't much more than a rev check of
the option module(s) since many have multiple revs.

The number of fielded radios probably far exceeds the number Elecraft
staff see for service or new installs in the shop, and there's no way
to know what options each K3 has installed from afar.  Unless Elecraft
has developed some unique form of TelePresence.  :)

The P3 works best with the IF gain mod installed.  You can find mods
at www.elecraft.com, click on K3 Mods + App Notes.  It's the second
mod shown from the top of the table.  The mod is a simple resistor
change that is easily performed in the field, and parts are available
gratis (plus postage, I think).

 I've done all my own mods, and few are "challenging" for a moderately
skilled kit builder.  Mods aren't for everyone however, and YMMV.  A
few require patience and studying the problem before jumping in, but
they are carefully crafted for ease and accessibility, and documented
extensively (mit photos yet!), and fairly easy to perform.

73,
matt W6NIA
K3 #24, P3 #12
TDY Tucson, AZ.