Hello again,

While I don't disagree with other people's suggestions that visual aids
would be of assistance I am still a little bit at a loss (no pun intended)
why your hearing loss should be a serious obstacle to detecting the zero
beat on the side tone. Do you have any problem hearing your chosen side tone
at all? In CW mode turn the AF volume down to 0 and press "Spot" to hear the
side tone. If you can't hear the side tone, you need to adjust its frequency
and/or amplitude until you can hear it clearly (hold "Pitch" to adjust
frequency, hold "Mon" to adjust volume). Now is the time to turn the AF gain
back up until you can hear stuff roughly equally as loud as the side tone.
The flutter or warble in the side tone generally can't be heard easily
unless you are within 20Hz or so of the desired frequency, so maybe that's
your problem. I can send you a recording of what WWV sounds like with say a
10, 3 and nominally 0 error if you think it might help. Tried this just now
and the fast flutter at 20Hz frequency error is clearly audible.

AB2TC - Knut