From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Erik Basilier
Sent: Thursday, December 30, 2010 4:50 PM
To: Elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: [Elecraft] Legitimate software vs. antivirus (was: Spectrogram)

I recently changed from Norton to AVG on two computers.

The laptop with 1.4 GHz Pentium M and running XP had N1MM installed on it in
the spring of 09; no update since.

AVG said that N1MM was malware; I let it move the file (I think it was the
main executable) to some quarantine location.

It occurred to me that AVG might be overzealous, and from the comments about
Spectrogram I am reminded about it.

Another observation is that that computer has become very prone to slowness
for several minutes after startup.

The workaround seems to be to leave it on. I guess AVG updates itself more
than Norton.

I also had to configure it not to do scans all the time.

Another computer, a new and fast one running Win 7, recently came up with a
message from AVG saying that the registry was messed up. I was offered to
get it fixed one time free, and to pay for it in the future. I declined,
deciding to use other methods to clean up the registry. I am used to getting
registry cleanup offers from highly suspect sources, and I always decline.
Now it seems like the nice price of AVG is only bait so they can hook you.
Hmmm. maybe even Norton included free registry fixes; I don't remember.

73,

Erik K7TV