Don,

Listen to the output of your soundcard with headphones (or your computer
speakers) while "sending" with PSK31 - if you hear the PSK31 "warble",
then your soundcard output is normal (you will likely only hear it in
the left ear).  Please verify this before anything else - if the
soundcard does not output the tones on the left channel, things will not
work.

Use VOX initially just to keep things simplfied - others have suggested
VOX settings.  For the time being, turn off PTT -- KEY in both the K3
and DM780.  Actually, using HRD/DM780, it is best to key the transmitter
through the RS-232 port than to use the DTR or RTS signaling (DM780
activates transmit through HRD - but HRD must be configured to activate
transmit too).  If you use DTR or RTS, those lines will become active
for a short period when you power the computer on, and will signal to K3
to go to transmit mode.

Put the K3 into TX Test and verify that the ALC meter goes up to 4 bars
with flickering of the 5th bar.  Adjust the Line-in level or the
soundcard output level to produce that amount on the ALC meter.  A word
about the K3 "ALC" meter - it does not indicate ALC until the 5th bar -
the lower levels are more like a VU meter to allow you to set the audio
level below that of the onset of ALC,

73,
Don W3FPR