On Sun, Jan 2, 2011 at 3:18 PM, Dr. Detlef Petrausch <dl7...@t-online.de>wrote:

> I use a 40.8 m long windom and it's no problem to tune to a swr abt. 1.2
> with the KAT3 on the 160m band....

Yep, similar results here. I have used 7 different ATUs and the KAT3 is the
best by far. The antenna can be way shorter than 1/2 wave and still tune up
fine. No loading scheme is needed. A short antenna just presents a
capacitive reactance (a -j value) to the tuner, which in my experience the
KAT3 has always been able to deal with.

According to my antenna analyzer, on some frequencies my antennas present
reactive loads that put an SWR on the coax up to about 20:1. But I have only
a short run of coax between balun and transmitter, so the loss is low.

However, when the load presents a lot of reactance, I have found that it has
been helpful in certain antenna setups to have a good counterpoise
arrangement where the balanced feedline comes into the shack and goes into
the balun. The counterpoise doesn't have to be resonant, nor does it need to
be elaborate.

Tony KT0NY