Brian,

The XG2 will not work for that purpose at all, the signal level is too
small, and the noise pickup on a 'scope probe will likely be larger than
the signal.

The generator shown in the K2 manual is dirt simple, and does not have
to be carefully assembled.  I built one Manhatten style on a small piece
of PC board.  The crystal can be any within the tuning range of the K2,
but 40 meters or 30 meters is preferred.
If you have to, just punch some holes in a piece of cardboard to support
the components and solder the leads on the other side - not much
critical as long as you get the correct leads connected together.

73,
Don W3FPR