I use the 200/250 Hz bandwidth only when I really have to.  In S&P mode on a
really crowded band, the narrow bandwidth sometimes makes it possible to find
the weak signals between the strong ones.  It is useful only for rejecting QRM,
not noise.

I have used it when running, mainly when I just couldn't find a spot wide
enough for the 400 Hz filter.  There are two problems with that:  Your
neighbors almost certainly aren't using filters that narrow, and may take
exception to you parking 200 Hz away.  And many callers will be so far off your
frequency that they will be outside your passband, and right on top of one of
the neighbors.  Still, sometimes one can make more contacts that way than any
other.

For years, I've used the FT-1000D with all 4 250/500 Hz filters.  The K3
filtering is somewhat better, and more flexible, but the difference isn't
great.  I know the K3 dynamic range is much better, though I haven't yet run
into a situation where it made a difference.

73,

Scott  K9MA

On Jan 12, 2011, at 6:10 PM, Gary Hinson wrote:

>> Yes, my experience is that 200 Hz is MUCH too narrow when running.  I
>> normally use 350 or 400 Hz DSP with the 400 Hz roofer.
>
> So long as the band is not totally chockablock with wall-to-wall sigs, I
> quite often listen across 2.7kHz width on CW and occasionally I hear people
> calling me towards the outer edges.  Mostly, though, the wide bandwidth
> allows me to keep an ear on the QRM on either side of me and perhaps to
> shift my TX frequency to take advantage of the gaps.  It takes practice to
> be comfortable listening in such wide bandwidths, picking individual sigs
> out by concentrating on their tone, speed, timing and keying
> characteristics, but it saves a lot of fiddling around with the RIT or split
> knobs.  That said, when things get real tough or I get tired, I'm very glad
> of the ability to shift the upper or lower limits independently, the very
> nice narrow roofing filters and amazing non-ringing DSP good down to less
> than 50Hz bandwidth.
>
> 73
> Gary  ZL2iFB

Scott Ellington