Probably the biggest variant in how to think about this is that in an analog
transmitter you start with a badly flawed signal which needs to be cleaned
up.  The filter attenuates sideband energy (clicks) from a waveform which
was already distorted at the point where the RF was keyed.

In the K3 and any other digital radio using this scheme, a "perfect" keying
form is created in firmware by numeric means, and the TX digital to analog
converter creates a pristine CW signal from that stream of numbers, which
can only be messed up, not improved.  Therefore the skirts of the filter are
set away from the CW, using the SSB TX filter, to prevent any distortion of
what STARTED OUT clean.  This numeric waveform has the advantage of being
able to have its "purity" improved in firmware.  In the analog radio this is
a design and manufacturing change.

W8JI's celebrated fix for the ghastly clicks in the FT1000MP changed keying
constants and delays in each INDIVIDUAL MP across a string of circuits so
that what emerged had as little clicks as possible.  It was not so much a
design change as a value change that affected the TX string switching
waveforms, and it varied by rig because the values changed were set in the
MP with plus and minus fifty percent cheep components.  The K2's elegant
click fix in early years addressed a single keying waveform problem in a
single stage.  But neither the JI-fixed MP or the current K2, however good
as they are, can compete with the digital solution.

73, Guy.