Dear Fellow Elecrafters,

I am writing to report on my experience with Elecraft support.

My K3 (820) recently developed a perplexing and irritating behavior: as I would
tune in a cw signal, I would come across a frequency very near the CWT center
frequency where the signal’s tone would disappear, and I would hear only key
clicks. This was a very sharp null, and I would hear a good tone either side of
it.

I contacted Elecraft support, and Gary walked me through checking for obvious
problems, like whether I had the notch filter engaged (I did not). Then he
shared the problem with Lyle, who suggested that such a null could occur if I
had set SPKRS=1, and AFX was turned on.

I use only one speaker, so I did have SPKRS=1. And with mono headphones, I have
no need for AFX, but I found that it was turned on. I would not intentionally
have turned it on, but I often do direct frequency entries, and I must have
erroneously hit the AFX/Enter key with multiple presses or poor timing.

I turned off AFX and the problem disappeared.

But this story is less about my problem and its solution than it is about the
energetic and competent support I received from Elecraft. Gary was prompt in
responding to my request for help, and he also was quick to call in Lyle to be
sure that appropriate expertise was brought to the problem. And I noticed that
all correspondence was copied to Wayne, so that he was in the loop as well.

I could not have asked for better support.

73,
John, no8v