Hi Dave

I asked the same question.

The gurus at Elecraft indicated that nothing had changed. I still have the
original firmware and load it up in my spare K3. The original version is the
ESP version that works for me.

I like you cant get the same results with the current release of the APF that I
go with the original. The original blew  my socks off I was so impressed with
it. I have done the comparison test  so many times now  that I know that the
original was the better release and its not my imagination.

If the programmer says the hex code is the same then there must be some other
factors at play. I dont really have  the answer.  I am keeping the original
firmware just for contests.

73
John