Bruce,

Remove the cable.  You will not hear those spurious signals, they are
transmitted ones.
It would be OK to store the cable inside the K2 and connected to the
plug on the control board, but you need to be sure the other end does
not make contact with the circuit parts.  Tom Hammond fashioned a clip
to hold the end of the cable secure at the rear of the left side panel.
If that interests you, I think you can find information at www.n0ss.net.

Yes, you will need to remove the KPA100 to change the filters, but you
should not have to do that often once they are set up correctly, they
will stay put.  If you have just been experimenting with the filters. I
suggest you get a copy on Spectrogram and set the filters up once and
for all.  You can find Spectrogram and setup and "how-to" information at
Tom's website too.  I have additional information in the K2 Dial
Calibration article at my website www.w3fpr.com that may help you as well.

73,
Don W3FPR