Roger,

Set the soundcard output higher.  Note -- if you have more than one
sound card, the normal volume settings displayed apply only to the
default soundcard.  You must use the Control Panel to temporarily change
the default soundcard to adjust the controls on the other one, and then
change the default back.

There is nothing wrong with using a higher level out of the soundcard.
Set it up to at least 75% or even at the 90% level (more if you need it).

You need to achieve 4 bars solid on the K3 ALC meter, or you will
experience "power creep" in the K3 output.

You adjust the K3 LINE-IN level, not the mic level if you are connected
to the line-in jack.  Set the selection to be used in data mode in the
K3 menu.

If you have an interface box in between the computer and the K3, that
may be your problem source.  Many interface boxes reduce the signal from
line level to a microphone level.

Give us more details about your setup and connections if you continue to
have problems.

73,
Don W3FPR