John (and everyone else) please **STOP** with the un-installing and
re-installing.

That ended as a solution to problems long before Windows 98 came out.
Re-installing is generally a colossal waste of time and rarely solves
anything.

What to do instead?

Look in control panel and see what Windows tells you that your USB adapter
is.

If you purchased it from Elecraft, it will either be a Prolific unit or an
FTDI unit.

If it is Prolific, go here and download the correct driver:

http://www.prolific.com.tw/eng/downloads.asp?ID=31

If it is an FTDI, go here and download the correct driver:

http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

Disconnect your USB cable from the computer, install the correct driver and
after the driver installs, then plug in the cable. After you plug in the
cable, go back into Control Panel and see what com port # Windows has
assigned to your adapter. Set your software to match that com port number.

73,

Bob W5OV