Hmmm..seems like this failed FW load is caused by operator
forgetfullness..don't think that's a word...by owners of Microham
products.

I sure don't need "windoze' to remind me to turn something off or
check some other device is present and running etc, etc, etc.

Maybe I live in the dark ages in Oz but never felt a need to purchase
"other' devices to use with my K3 either.

Maybe Elecraft could include a large sheet of paper in each K3
shipment that states the warning for Microham products when wanting to
do a download but please no message on the LCD of the K3 and no more
Windoze warnings either.

Never had an issue with FW downloads with either my PC or eeC PC
netbook both running XP and pretty much all have been from the ftp
site and Beta versions..YMMV

73's
Gary

On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 10:02 AM, Dick Dievendorff <die...@comcast.net> wrote:
> The serial communications are tested before sending firmware. There is a per
> block checksum test and Ack. There is no on chip storage of sufficient to
> buffer very much firmware. The program store is 128KB and the available RAM
> is less than 4K.
>
> I can work on the error messages, and specific suggestions are welcome. I'm
> perhaps too close to this or stayed too close to the early prototype's
> message text.
>
> 73 de Dick, K6KR
>
> On Feb 6, 2011, at 16:27, ab2tc <ab...@arrl.net> wrote:
>

>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have loaded virtually every firmware version that ever came out without a
>> single incident, using several different USB adapters (never had a real
>> serial port with the K3) and several computers. So I don't have problem with
>> this at all. With this said, it does appear that a few things could be
>> improved when there *is* a problem with the communications. The idea of
>> testing the serial communications before committing to the update is a good
>> one. Also it does seem that the utility could be improved in it's ability to
>> recover from errors and give more meaningful messages to the users.
>> Bootloaders are inherently dumb and they need to be in order to keep them
>> small. To expect it to be able to cope with "unexpected" commands is simply
>> expecting too much.
>>
>> AB2TC - Knut
>>
>> PS. The PIC processor with 128kb of flash and 4kB of RAM, oboy that seems
>> like a flashback to another century to me. I am amazed at the Elecraft
>> programmers being able to cram the current functionality into this extremely
>> limited space.
>>

>> Dick Dievendorff wrote:
>>>
>>> We do check each block with a checksum. We do have a per block ACK. I
>>> can't tell if a Microham device us inline...
>>>

>>> Dick
>>>
>>> <snip>
>>>

>> --

Gary
VK4FD - Motorhome Mobile
http://www.qsl.net/vk4fd/
K3 #679
For everything else there's Mastercard!!!