I had planned to add the KAF2 after building my K2 in 2000. Then I happened
to hear a K2 with one installed and was not impressed. Later it dawned on me
why: my high-frequency hearing is already compromised, thanks to spending a
lot of time firing weapons in the military (soldiers don't wear ear
protectors). I had a "built in" filter to attenuate high frequencies, Hi!

Later I had a chance to work with the Elecraft AF1 "mini-module" outboard
audio filter. The AF1 includes an analog low pass filter with a variable
cut-off point to attenuate the higher frequencies, and it has a separate,
analog, active, tunable "peaking" filter. I use that frequently with the K2.

The active "peaking" filter in the AF1 does the same thing as the APF in the
K3, frequently pulling signals near or below the noise level up into the
clear. Indeed, using them side by side it's hard to tell performance of the
AF1 peaking filter apart from the APF. I guess that's a complement to the
APF, since the APF strives to replicate in DSP a filter like the AF1 peaking
filter.

The AF1 is an extra little box on the operating table but I find it a
valuable addition to the K2 for copying CW.

Ron AC7AC