Lee and Jeff,

By registers, I think you are referring to those bits which must be set
to select the various options a particular PIC pin may be used for.
(If not skip the rest of this posting.)

Setting these registers is the bane of PIC programming.

There is a tendency for the programming documentation to send one to the
nearly incomprehensible device spec sheet for details.  It varies from
device to device.  These sheets usually give examples in assembly
programming which really don't help the common man much.

The real solution seems to be to find a bit of coding that does
something similar and use it as guidance.

Some of the problem is with the compiler used to generate the hex code.
  Some are smart enough to set some or all of the registers for one,
some are not.

If one is just fooling around trying to get one's feet wet in PIC
programing then the PIC-AXE series of devices are ideal.  There is a
free BASIC language compiler.  There are no registers to set!  The price
per device is in the $5 to $10 price range. They are in circuit
programmable so one doesn't need separate hardware to do the
programming.  I just finished up rotor control box using one of their
low end chips.

One might think that these devices can't do much.  Not so.  How about:
12 bit A/D converters (many/chip), D/A, RS232 I/O, IR device I/O,
keyboard and keypad input, servo output, temperature read routines, +
lots more.  Most are accessible with one or two line commands.  No
registers to set!

We've fooled with here are the PARALLAX PIC's.  Easy like above and in
circuit programmable.  Also no registers but $50 and up per chip is a
barrier.

Then there is the MIKROBASIC suite of programs and compilers (BASIC,C,
PASCAL, assembly) for 16F type chips (actually it encompasses the entire
family through 40 pin PICS).  One can do a lot with the free versions of
their compilers.  It requires a separate programming board and is geared
to more high end chips/applications.  Documentation is decent and has
lots of examples.  I made up a custom and software programmable antenna
switch box using one of the 40 pin PIC's and the K3 BCD band data
outputs.  Registers have to be mostly set by the user but some typical
defaults are contained in device dependent chip files.

Here are some links:

http://www.mikroe.com/forum/
http://www.rev-ed.co.uk/picaxe/

It is totally amazing what can be done with a few bytes or RAM and a few
K of ROM.  Once logic can be built into a chip, a whole world of
possibilities open up.

BTW, I'm just an amateur with all the above.  It does take some (or a
sometimes a lot of) muddling through to get there.

73 de Brian/K3KO