Yes you are missing something.
The power supply was first switch on, then the K2.
At switch on the capacitors into the K2 charges themself, and the power supply
answered to this by emiting spikes.
I never write that all power supply have the same behavior, but for mine, it
explained the K2 PA transistors failure.
A scope showed clearly the problem with this power supply.
After changing the power supply, I had no more PA transistors failure.

Georges F6DFZ

Am I missing something here? Seems to me that the rational thing to do
is turn on the power supply and let it stabilize (should only take a
second or two), then turn on the K2/K3? Turning a K2 or K3 on and off
using the power supply switch never gives the firmware/software a chance
to initialize or shut down...just like pulling the plug on your computer
might well cause at least mild consternation to the machine! There are
no enormous filter caps in either Kn machine that need to be serviced at
power on. Seems to me that using a non-matched pair of transistors is
much more likely to be the cause of failure, as someone has already
pointed out.

John Ragle -- W1ZI

=====