My story:

In the Spring of 2007, after a 20+ year hiatus from Ham Radio, I upgraded to
Extra. I was a little out of touch on current rigs and wanted something to get
started again. I ended up buying a Ten-Tec Argonaut V. I loved that rig for
it's silky QSK CW ability and compact size. Even at the bottom of the cycle
it's 20 watts was enough to work lots of DX with CW. The itch for more power
resulted in the purchase of a used Ten-Tec Jupiter in 2008 - a very nice rig
with typically fine Ten-Tec CW ability. After a very brief and less than
satisfactory foray into FLEX SDRs I turned my attention to Elecraft. By now I
was hearing lots of good things about Elecraft, their rigs, and their support.
I liked that Elecraft had it's roots in CW and QRP.  I was impressed with the
K2 receiver specs compared to anything I had experienced and wondered just how
big a difference such a receiver would make. Since I wasn't confident enough to
jump right into the K2 construction, I bought a K1 in Septemb
 er 2009 and had a blast building and using it. With the confidence gained from
building the K1, I decided to move up to the K2 but after looking at the K2
price with preferred options I decided that there wasn't a significant price
difference between a half loaded K2 and an entry K3. I decided that I just had
to experience a rig with top receiver specs to see the difference for myself,
so the Jupiter went on the block and I ordered a K3/10 kit with KAT3 in January
2010. What a difference! I ordered and installed the KPA3 in March. I was so
thoroughly happy with Elecraft and their rigs by now that I ordered a K2 and
KAT2 in August 2010. This purchase might be considered a step backwards by
some, but I wanted to enjoy the K2 build experience and a dedicated QRP K2 to
complement the 100W K3 made perfect sense to me. I've been drooling over the P3
and a KRX3 and think the second receiver will soon be my next addition.

To summarize:  What made me decide on purchasing an Elecraft transceiver?

1) The enjoyment of building my own radios.
2) Top receiver specs at an affordable price.
3) Modularity that permits buying only what you need until you need more.
4) Life is too short not to buy and enjoy Elecraft equipment.

Thanks to Wayne, Eric, Lyle, et al - keep up the good work.

Will