On 3/2/2011 5:38 PM, w0ih wrote:
> My next door neighbor is a ham and recently upgraded to a Icom 7700, 200
> watt.

This is the sort of operating conditions that we typically set up for
California QSO Party county expeditions, and that also occur at some
contesting stations (like PJ2T, PJ4A, N6RO, etc.). The CQP group that I
go with uses K3s driving 500w amps, wire dipoles, and tri-banders on
tower trailers roughly 130 ft apart. Stations like this will typically
use very good bandpass filters between the rig and the power amp
(usually W3NQN filters) and also stubs following the power amp. Antennas
are usually carefully arranged to minimize the coupling between them,
and most contests, stations are on different bands. In CQP though, we
often had a CW and SSB station on the same band. Filters don't help with
that -- it takes separation of antennas.

At CQP, we had one incident of actual damage to a K3. It happened
because both CW and SSB were on 40M at the same time, using dipoles that
were end to end with only a few feet between them. That's dumb, but we
did it. :)  We had no problems with both stations being on 15M or on
20M, and the year after blowing up the front end with the 40M dipoles
end to end, we moved the dipoles much further apart.

Also, at CQP, our tri-banders were carefully arrayed so that they were
essentially parallel to each other when pointed where we intended to
operate them.  That greatly reduces the coupling between them as
compared to pointing them at each other -- I'd guess a difference of
roughly 30-50dB (30-300 times less voltage by having each in the null of
the other's pattern, as opposed to 6dB of gain from each).

One of the best resources on this is W2VJN's book on Managing
Interstation Interference. Buy it from Inrad (the folks who sell the
crystal filters) for about $25. George talks about how to calculate and
how to measure the coupling between antennas, how much RF voltage it
takes to cause damage, how to reduce the coupling with filters and
stubs. Very solid engineering, very practical, written at a very
understandable level. George is a contributor to the ARRL Handbook.

73, Jim K9YC