You can go to the last used frequency and mode on a band by configuring
CONFIG:MEM 0-9 to BAND SEL.  I also use the M1-M4 quick memories for each
band.  I set up all of those memories using the Elecraft K3 Frequency Memory
Editor Program.

This information is on page 16 of the current manual.

I use free DXLab Suite of programs (http://www.dxlabsuite.com/) including
the Commander rig control program.  That program has ten banks of ten
memories each so selecting a memory takes one or two mouse clicks, making it
much more flexible than using the memories in the K3.

Jim N7US