David,

Each to his own, but here are some of my thoughts on the subject:

I have long thought that providing a kit with a board for construction
took much of the thrill out of building a project.  For that reason I
prefer manhatten construction or "ugly" construction for my small
projects, it is informative, fun and one can exercise as much creativity
as desired.  When boards are provided and used, the builder is slaved to
the parts size choices of the designer as well as the interconnections.
Any creative changes would involve cutting traces on the board.

For me, kits are for large complex projects, and I will happily live
with what the designer has created.  For smaller projects, I prefer to
create my own and use whatever size parts I have in my well-stocked
junkbox.  The break-point depends on my energy level and available time.

73,
Don W3FPR