Hi Don,

On 17 March 2011 19:08, Don Wilhelm <w3...@embarqmail.com> wrote:

> If you are "experimenting with various computer controls" and you have the
> "out of band" concern, I would think the place to place the band limits
> would be in the computer application.  I know Ham Radio Deluxe has
> provisions for setting band limits for you.

I'm working on homebrew Linux software to control the K3. It has got
band limits built in, but there will be bugs :) Yes, I can operate in
TX test mode until I'm reasonably confident it works as expected, but
there are always corner cases and unexpected situations that show up
when you don't expect it.

Every time you add a layer of checks you reduce the risk of a total
failure - "defense in depth". So I was just trying to see if I could
add a layer in the K3, it turns out not, and that's ok, I can
compensate by taking extra precautions elsewhere.

What I don't understand is why the whole idea seems to be so controversial.

73,
Thomas 2E0ETT