Eric,

Joe is correct.

The fact that the noise disappears when the antenna is disconnected AND
when you shut down HRD indicates that your serial cable and/or the USB
to serial adapter is radiating trash and that trash is being picked up
by your antenna.

Jim's suggestions are valid for that sort of condition - kill the bad
stuff at the source, don't try to fix the symptoms (which is harder to
do anyway).

73,
Don W3FPR