Hello Barry!

> Any thoughts on how to improve the punch?

Different voices have different amplitude levels at the pitches that
penetrate, so the appropriate settings are all a matter of testing and
adjusting and testing again.

> My callsign was pre-recorded and stored in the K3 DVR.  When listening
> thru the MON, live audio sounds much better than the DVR playback of my
> callsign.  Does recorded audio in the DVR go through the TX EQ filters
> either when recorded or during playback?  How about compression?

DVR audio is substituted in the path instead of mic audio.  So, sending
a DVR message you can then adjust TX  EQ and CMP and hear the effect of
the adjustments.

Using TX TEST mode, you can do this without radiating a signal or
warming your dummy load.

73,

Lyle KK7P