Hi, Kate.

 You have two choices for this.  One, as you have already figured, plug
 the mic into the MIC on the back, Phones into the PHONES on the back,
 and get an adapter to adapt the 1/4 inch PTT plug on the headset to the
 RCA plug on the back of the K3.

 The other approach is to get a Kenwood headset adapter from Heil, and
 use it with the front panel 8-pin connector, and the phones jack on the
 front panel (with maybe the appropriate adapter 1/8 stereo to 1/4 inch
 stereo). Note that K3 headphones AND speaker out is STEREO.  Do NOT plug
 a MONO plug into the SPEAKER OUT jack on the rear of the K3.  Don't ask
 me how I know this.

 FYI:  The K3 is designed to accommodate a built-in Sub-Receiver and
 normally places main receiver audio mostly in the left ear.  And, when
 you add the second receiver, you hear the audio in the right ear.  Works
 very well.

 I hope you enjoy your K3 as much as I've enjoyed mine.

 Good luck....

 ,.,.,bill   nr4c