Have you considered a K2, Chris?

It's a very capable rig, designed to take an internal battery.  It's
probably less power-hungry than a K3, but I've not checked the figures.

Its one weakness, for me, has been transmit audio on SSB, although I
must admit I've not spent much time trying to optimise it as I use it
mainly for CW.  The K3 wins hands-down in this respect.

73,

Phil, GJ4CBQ.