Barry,

You'll either need to look at the key line input section of the schematics
for the two transceivers, or "give it a shot."  In  the past, I've used low
voltage-drop Schottky diodes to steer and isolate two transceivers.  I now
use a W8ZR StationPro II (SPII) and no longer have these concerns.  The SPII
is a great station switching device and in addition to switching the paddle
lines, it will automatically switch many other station  functions.

Here's why the problem can occur when using a simple "Y" adapter:  The
paddle lines from most transceivers (and keyers) are often pulled up to a
low-voltage supply voltage rail using moderately high-value (e.g., 10K)
resistors.  When the transceiver is turned off, the supply rail may look
like a low-z short to ground.  If an off-the-shelf "Y" adapter is used, then
the paddle contacts are in parallel with 10K and a voltage divider is
unintentionally created on the active paddle line since the paddle lines
sees 10K to the active rig's supply and 10K in the rig that is "shorted" to
the inactive power supply.  That may or may not be enough to continuously
pull down the paddle line on the active transceiver and cause problems -- it
depends a lot on what conditioning each transceiver is providing on the
paddle lines.

If you find that an off-the-shelf "Y" adapter won't work, then with a little
effort, you can try installing small Schottky diodes into the 1/4" or 1/8"
mini plugs of a homebrew "Y" adapter.  Two diodes are needed in each of two
plugs of the "Y" going to the transceivers: one on the dit lines, the other
on the dah lines.    Better still...look into the SPII!

Paul, W9AC