I'm quite happy with my wish.  I've seen led clusters in a MR16 package
deliver the equivalent light to a 43W incandescent for a consumption of
3.6W: that's 300mA at 12V.  Our rooms over here are probably smaller than
yours, Jim, but I might have 4 ceiling-mounted units to give me a nice light
in most of my rooms (<150sq ft).  Our lighting wiring is mostly rated 5A,
so, the 1.2A ac/dc I would need is well within spec if I just put a 12V
transformer on the lighting circuit.  So, in my house (fairly typical in the
UK) my wiring would not change, but in a new build it could be not only
smaller, but not have an earth/ground wire with it and no outer sheath, ie
just twin.   That's a lot less copper and a lot less pvc.  It's easy to
incorporate thermal trips (ptc devices) which are cheap and last my
lifetime.

All this adds up to taking a lot less current out of the mains and therefore
a lot easier to suppress if switching supplies are used.

Sorry for the thread drift, but it's an interesting subject.

David
G3UNA