Julian,

The REF CAL adjustment is in 1-Hz steps same as the fine tuning
resolution of the VFO.  The EXREF will call for a shift to bring the
radio frequency back to zero error by introducing a shift
command.  Typically, the TCXO does not drift much over a short time
(TCXO-3 is rated to 0.5 ppm).  The error depends on operating
frequency and is max at 50-MHz (0.5 ppm = 25 Hz).  But it is not like
the TCXO is jumping that far.  I watched it during the 30-min warm-up
of the K3 and it typically moves 1-Hz at a time until it settles out.

So I would not expect corrections over 1 or 2 Hz at maximum and they
are happening on a 4-second interval.  The TCXO is running
continuously and not being stepped.  The steps are commands to the
digital dividers in the synthesizer of the radio.  For example the
synth. steps when you rotate the VFO.

The advantage of the reference oscillator is that it makes the K3
more accurate in frequency.  Frequency stability and LO phase noise
are still controlled by the TCXO and not the reference.  To have the
radio stability and phase noise determined by the external source it
would require phase locking the TCXO to the reference signal.

I do not know enough about synthesizers or PLL so I am guessing there
is a momentary phase shift every time the K3EXREF commands a REF CAL change.

For robust FEC codes like WSPR it will not be a problem.  The sw
expects to have jumps and bumps to the data stream and removes them as noise.

The experts out there can correct my interpretation where it is in error.  I

73, Ed  - KL7UW

Message: 28