Dave,

It hadn't occurred to me that frequency correction would be suspended
in Tx.  That is both good and bad, as I see it.  Good that no phase
jumps occur, but bad that transmitter drift is not being corrected.

For eme digital modes this means the freq. is solely held by the TCXO
over the minute-long transmit sequence.  That probably will not
affect the K3 when running transverters as there will be no large
thermal change in the radio operating at mw levels.  It may see more
effect when I run HF/6m at 12w on my K3/10, but that probably is much
less than those that run the K3/100.

I guess I will have to reserve judgement on how well K3EXREF will
assist operating at microwaves (mw).  As I see it now, the K3EXREF
will track out mid-term frequency drift of the TCXO during receive
sequences, so the Tx drift (if any) is limited to that which occurs
in 1-minute.

Transmitting on CW/SSB is not as exacting on frequency accuracy so
not likely the user will notice a few Hz drift, if it occurs.  Even
used with mw transverters, frequency error remains the same as the IF
error since it is translated in mixing and not multiplied.  Where it
would be significant is if the K3 were used RF source in a Multiplier
chain to produce a mw CW signal.  I am not familiar with what method
is favored for mw >24 GHz

I see REF CAL offsets being applied consistently for the first 30-min
after K3 power-on.  Maybe my TCXO has aged more in the first year of
use?  I saw only 14-Hz freq. error on 28-MHz last fall, while it
shows about 36-Hz error on 28-MHz, now.  This is with no REF CAL
adjustments or K3EXREF running.  Once K3EXREF is initiated 28-MHz
remains within 1 to 2 Hz on my counter.

I will have to monitor 2m when I next run eme to see what happens.

73, Ed - KL7UW

Message: 5