Phil,

My house is about the same vintage.  I had the same situation, no ground rod at
the service entrance.
I put in a ground rod myself.  It may or may not have had an adequate ground
before but I figured putting in
a redundant ground with the ground rod would be a good idea, plus it brings it
up to current code requirements.

Bob
K6UJ