John,

I understand that it was working OK and then just quit, so your wiring
should be correct.  When you said you 'ohmed out' the speaker, I trust you
meant that you removed the connector from the RF board and did the ohmmeter
check from that point - if not, please do so to check continuity through the
external speaker jack contacts.

There is no way to mute the speaker other than by putting a plug into either
the headphone or ext speaker jack.  It does sound like you may have a bad
contact in the headphone jack.  You might try extracting the headphone plug
rapidly several times to see if the spring contacts might just be stuck, or
just send off a request to [EMAIL PROTECTED] and be done with it (except
for the replacement chore once you have a new jack.

73,
Don W3FPR