To me, the point is that the K-Line is an integrated system, not
simply a few standalone units.  As such, an improved user interface
would be for the power knob on the K3 to smoothly adjust for the
entire range of the available power as more K-Line units are added to
the system.  This would make it as if the additional amplifier were in
the K3 box itself instead of in a separate chassis.

Why do I, the operator, care how much drive the amp needs for the
requested output level? It's not like we have to set the 10W amp to
drive the 100W amp at the desired level. We just turn the knob to the
power we want within the available power range.  The K3/KPA500 are
already determining band, forward and reflected power. Let it also
determine the appropriate drive power for a specified output power.

The fact that amps have always required the operator to figure out how
much drive to provide is an artifact of history and traditional
design, not necessarily "the way it must be."

On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 4:46 PM, Mike Fatchett <w...@w0mu.com> wrote:
> I guess I don't understand this either.
>
> If you want the amp you are requiring more than 100 watts.  I would
> assume that you can control the output of the amp by turning up or down
> the drive from over 100w to the max of 500w.  What am I missing?  The
> amp is going to require a minimum amount of drive to function.

(sorry for the dup, Mike. I failed to hit "reply all" to copy the list)

--
73, Byron N6NUL
----