Don, thanks for the info. I just lifted one end of D19 from the board and
indeed it is a dead short. I powered up the K1 without the band module
installed and it powered up fine, so that indeed is the problem.

Since I am so D&*&n stupid, I don't think I'll use the K1 without the Zener
installed. It looks like changing out Q7 would be a MUCH bigger deal, so now
I'll go on the hunt for a 1n4753 locally -- maybe at RF Parts in San Marcos.

Thanks again.
Joe
AF6NI

PS  - boy it's nice to have a radio that can be worked on. I also use many
"boatanchors" and that's one of the advantages to them also.