Thanks, Nate.  I'm lucky enough to have a real serial port, so no usb issues to
worry about.  Also, the utility to open up transmit for MARS ran fine under
Wine.  It's just the K144XV and K3 utilities that don't pick up the serial port.
 Numerous other ham related programs are successfully using /dev/ttyS0, so it's
very likely a Wine configuration problem (though the directions are pretty
simple!)

Since it sounds like your Wine set up is working, can I ask what you had to do?
 As I read the directions, I only have to:

  $ cd ~/.wine/dosdevices
  $ ln -s /dev/ttyS0 com1

and then run Wine.  Yet, the utilities show no serial port!  Frustrating.

73,
Mike ab3ap