Ken;
The compressor uses a power detector to measure the power level and it then uses that to set the audio gain. This results in no distortion of the audio signal. It is possible to run digital modes such as PSK31 through the compressor without adding any significant distortion to them.

It is also possible to increase the compression level up to 16:1 by changing a resistor value. I'm not sure I would recommend that because every background noise in your shack could be transmitted at full output power.
-John
KI6WX

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ken Bessler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Is the design of the K2's compressor so that even at
4:1, it's not too harsh? I've been using 2:1 for normal
ops and 4:1 for difficult contacts. My mic is an old CB
"Cobra" hand mic (600 ohm). I also have a headset mic
salvaged from a cell phone (2.2k). I don't use that one
much.

I talked to KB0OMQ (2 miles away) on 40m today
and had him rate the compressor for quality at 1:1 and
4:1. He said there was no difference in quality - just in
strength. That was on the CB mic.

That had me scratching my head. Surely, 4:1 compression
would sound terrible so close in? I'm used to my FT-857D
where at 65 of 100 it sounded good but at 100 it was
only good for busting pileups. I would get complaints of my
audio if I forgot to turn it down for a ragchew.

I'm pretty sure my compressor is working - I get much more
power for a given sound with it set to 4:1.

Is the K2's compressor just THAT clean?