Actually, I had a question that is in a similar vein.

I bought a buddipole, and plan on taking my K2/100 camping.  I began to
research batteries, such as gell cell and glass matt batteries, and solar
charging.  My guess is that I might operate about 4 to 5 hours per day,
running up to the full "gallon."  Operating modes would be SSB, CW and while
my laptop batteries held up, PSK.  I also plan on being out in the woods for
probably a week at a time.

There is so much on the web, I just cannot separate out what would work,
from overkill.  In spite of reading several treatises, I still am not sure
whether I would want a gell cell or a glass matt battery.   My question
(finally) - I'd like to hear from people on the list who have a
battery/solar recharging system that works well and will run the K2/100 for
the 4 to 5 hours per day, listing the components he or she is using.

Given the size and weight of batteries, I had hoped to use a 36 Ah battery,
and then recharge it with solar power.  But it seems that these batteries
charge rather slowly, and that might not be possible.  For example, I think
it is powerportstore.com that has a 1.2 amp flexible solar panel recharger
that puts out approximately 5.6 - 7 Ah per day.  The solar panel is about $
500.00.    The general size/weight and price is ok, but it doesn't appear
that such output would be sufficient to fully recharge a big battery.

I think I'd rather duplicate what has worked for someone else, than try to
reinvent the wheel.    Thanks in advance.  Tom W6EIJ