amateur radio.

Unfortunately, many yachties get ham licenses and ham radios as adjuncts
to their boats, and then ignore this rule.

I ordered my K3 to use as my boat's ham radio.  When the time comes to
head offshore, I will get a proper marine SSB radio, too.

Jim K7KK
K3 #5263
Baba 30 sailboat #4

On 2011-04-21 01:22 PM, Mike Morrow wrote:
> Many hams, even the the days of the commercial Maritime Morse radio
> officer (which ended July 12, 1999), exhibit a cavalier attitude
> towards SOLAS issues.  In the Morse days, for example, it is NOT likely
> that most hams would have recognized an SOS (which is sent as one
> character ...---..., not three characters ... --- ..., quite radically
> different in sound).
>
> Disregarding issues of ham operation upon SOLAS communications, there
> are regulatory issues.  At sea, the country of the ship's registry
> would have jurisdiction over any ham operations.  Are ANY cruise ships
> of US registry?
A few, especially those that cruise in American waters only.  I think
Matson line may still have some passenger cruise ships.  And of course,
you can book passage as a passenger on many cargo ships.
>    When in port, the host country has jurisdiction.  IIRC,
> back in the Morse radio officer era, operation of the ship's Morse
> station was prohibited in port.
>
> I don't know how MF/HF USB use is controlled today in the GMDSS era.
> Obviously use of a ship's VHF-FM is required in foreign ports for
> SOLAS, piloting, and docking operations.  (The only foreign country
> radio operation that I've ever done has been on VHF-FM as a USN
> officer of the deck coming in and out of port.)
>
> Do hams who operate from foreign registry ships use a call sign
> indicating the country of ship's registry when at sea, and a call
> sign of the host country when in port?  I'd be surprised.
I would expect the ship's master, when granting permission for a ham to
operate his station on the master's ship, to insist on it.  Of course,
when in American waters (e.g., Alaska inside passage), an American ham
would use his American call sign.

I'll ask my brother-in-law about this,  He is an American ham who works
on Holland America Line ships as the piano player in the piano bar.

  Jim K7KK