Guy,

I thought maybe that was the problem as well.  But since it originally
showed that it needed a firmware update and that there was no firmware
installed (the dashes where it should show the firmware version installed
and the Pop-up window indicating that the boot loader was ready to install
firmware) I assumed that possibly there was an update.  The grayed out text
in all of the tab windows threw me however, and that is when I really
started to suspect either a lousy Serial to USB converter, driver needing an
update, something flaky about the Utility and 32 bit Windows --- or taking a
deep breath and walking away and and coming back to it with a fresh state of
mind.  Then my decades of ham radio experience paid off --- check the damn
connectors!  I don't post much here since I like to sit back, read and
learn.  I hate to publicly announce I am not the sharpest tool in the shed.

I thank all of you who scratched their heads and thought about the problem
and a thanks to those who wrote to me with suggestions.  This is a fine
group of people.

73, Greg K2UM