Paul,

I would have a hard time blaming something like that on the antenna.
Furthermore, if signals are intelligible on 40 meters, they should also
be intelligible on 80 meters - the same sideband is used.  Similarly on
20 and 17.

The only thing I can think of is that your your SSB filter settings are
not optimized.  I encourage you to use Spectrogram or a similar FFT
audio spectrum analyzer running on the computer to set your SSB filters.
Take a look at part 3 of the K2 Dial Calibration article on my website
www.w3fpr.com for information on how to accomplish that - you might want
to go through the whole process and come out with a correct dial
calibration as well.

The only other thing I can think of (other than filter alignment) is
that you were listening to some lousy SSB signals (or AM signals) on 80
meters - some of them are almost unintelligible even with a properly
adjusted receiver - but then many of them are very good too.

73,
Don W3FPR