Hi Tom,
I'm using the combo now since more than two years...without any flaw...
Note please, mainly I'm talking about my K3......... in use with Alpha 9500
The Alpha 9500 itself can be very tricky...

You have to use your Power setting (K3) very often...

On 17m, with 17W drive power, I'm getting out 1kW (1000 Watt keydown)...
On 40m, for the same output,you need about 30W of driving power...and so
on...
If you want work "barefoot", this is an other story...

There're some issues with the 9500...independent, what kind of transceiver
you're using

Yep, I forgot:
The capability in CW...especially "QSK mode" is running pretty good, I
didn't fiddle any knob in use with my K3...

vy 73,
Art HB9DCO