Fra: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net [mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net]
På vegne af w9cf
Sendt: 23. april 2011 20:23
Til: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Emne: Re: [Elecraft] key dot weight

Poul Erik Karlshøj (PKA) wrote:

> Thanks Don and others for referring me to the CW bandwidth mod (wave
> shape mod).
> It shows the fine waveform of the K2. Mine is ser. 4662 and has that mod.
> I am by no means complaining about the waveshape - it is superb. I am
> only complaining a little bit about the inability to reach 50% weight.
> It is quite close and maybe acceptable to most operators and for me it
> is only a problem at QRQ.
>
> I have asked many times, but nobody has yet answered my simple
> question of what the minimum weight should be (when set to 0,9).
>
> 73, Paul OZ4UN

Paul,
I don't know exactly how the weight is defined for a shaped wave form.
So to answer your question for my K2, I put the wave form from my K2 serial
number 5235 when set at 40 wpm and weight 0.90 and at 1.10 in the files:
http://fermi.la.asu.edu/w9cf/k2/40wpm_090wt.jpg
and
http://fermi.la.asu.edu/w9cf/k2/40wpm_110wt.jpg
40 wpm should take 60 milliseconds between dots.  You can see that, at the
default weight of 1.10, it takes something like 67 milliseconds between dots
and is quite heavy.  At 0.90 the time between dots is about 60 milliseconds,
but it looks to me to be a weight of at least 1.0 and probably more.

I recorded these with my K2 set at minimum power into a dummy load, and used a
separate receiver to the sound card on my laptop (the receiver was my ATS-4a
which has no AGC).

I hope this helps.

73 Kevin w9cf