Thanks to Pete, Don and Ron for the responses.

I think you all have convinced me to go ahead and get the 3080 option
soonest and get other options as able.

The warnings about incorporating documentation errata are well
received.  So looking at the documentation section of the Elecraft web
site can I assume...

- The Rev. E KX1 Manual needs no changes (other than 3080 preparation)?
- The Rev. A KXB3080 Manual needs Rev. A-1 changes incorporated into Rev. A?

As far as personal soldering history and kit building goes... I deal
with surface mount and through hole components at work all the time,
have built Elecraft 2T-gen, CP1, DL1, XG2, the QRPKits DC40a and in the
deep past the Heathkit  GC1000 "Most Accurate Clock," 2140A "HF Power
Meter" & the HFT-9A antenna tuner (all of which still work).

My XG2 became quite a popular item in my club as it traveled from one K3
owner to the next to help them perform some kind of "final step" in
their K3 bring-up.

Anyway, it's time for my next kit build and I am thankful Elecraft has
the kits available.

John